#1 Tom47

Tom47

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:03 AM

I'm going to ask this question as I searched the forums and didn't find any information on it, so my apologies if it's already been asked and answered.

What sort of audio recorders do you use?  I'm looking for something that I can leave running outside over night when I'm at my property that will do a decent job of capturing sounds and that can be readily downloaded to a computer.  It would also be helpful if it cost less than $100.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, recomendations, thoughts, etc.

• Barnman and Lady likes this

#2 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:05 AM

Tom, I would like to hear an answer to this myself.  I have some old recorders that use cassette tapes, but I need to upgrade.  I would also like to find some not too expensive recording equipment that I can aim to capture and record sound at a distance.

#3 SRA-Todd

SRA-Todd

Researcher

• Researchers
  • 344 posts
  • LocationRamsey, MN

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:19 AM

I know Andy is partial to Edirol brand, but that is top of the line.  Kris purchased several different recorders for expeditions but I don't know the brand.

I have an Olympus and like it for the most part, but I've had trouble being able to download the files off the device onto my computer.  I paid around $25 off an auction website PropertyRoom.com a couple of years ago.

Doing a quick Google search, there are lots of them and very affordable too.  What I like about my Olympus is the ability to plug in an extended microphone which allows me to leave the recorder inside while placing the microphone outside.  It does a great job and I've captured some very interesting things.  I think the most important thing is being able to move the files once you've recorded something, which is why I'm in the market for a new one.  

#4 Tom47

Tom47

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:32 PM

I'm still poking around for information on an audio recorder and have learned that some researchers are using the Tascam DR05.  At nearly $100 it's a bit more than I was hoping to have to spend and wonder if anyone here is familiar with it?

#5 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts
  • LocationMpls Metro, MN, USA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:07 AM

Nope, I wouldn't buy an Edirol again.  I like mine, but it is a battery hog and seldom runs longer than 6 hours without refreshing the batteries.  The SRA owns several Sony recorders (PM SRA-Kris for the exact model) that can record for days on fresh Li-Ion batteries.  We take these, put them in a Zip-Lock bag and set them out for entire expeditions. They are also less than 1/2 the price of an Edirol and the quality is good enough to not be worth the drawbacks.

Don't Believe, Know.

#6 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

One key feature to look for is a recorder that will automatically break long recordings into smaller files as it records them.  So many times we have people bring us 12GB files that are impossible to work with, crashing PCs as you try to break them down to the 5 seconds we are interested in.

Don't Believe, Know.

#7 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

I'm still poking around for information on an audio recorder and have learned that some researchers are using the Tascam DR05.  At nearly $100 it's a bit more than I was hoping to have to spend and wonder if anyone here is familiar with it?

That model looks very good. It has a lot of the features I would normally look for, including a 17 hour run time and on-board file splitting.  The 17 hour run time can likely be increased by a lot if you use Li-Ion batteries.

Don't Believe, Know.

#8 Tom47

Tom47

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm starting to save my pennies for the Tascam DR05 as it seems like a good choice and I'd like to start recording by this summer at the latest.  I'll keep you all informed of any interesting developments.

• SRA Andy likes this

#9 therealsuperdave

therealsuperdave

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

Tascam and zoom make very good recorders. However I have had good luck with much cheaper recorders made by Olympus. I have several VN-702PC models that are cheap enough I don't worry about leaving them out in the woods overnight.
  • jayjeti likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: audio, recorder, equipment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users