Tom47

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but here goes:

My wife and I purchased an off-grid home on 20 acres in a remote, mountainous area of Okanogan County, Washington in 1995.  The land thereabouts alternates between open sagebrush dotted grassland to heavily forested hillsides covered with Douglas Fir and some Ponderosa Pine with the creek bottoms thick with small to large aspen.  In addition there is an abundance of various shrubs such as Serviceberry, Hawthorne, Blue Elderberry, Cascara, Douglas Maple, wild rose, etc.  There is also an abundance of game including Mule Deer, Ruffed, Blue and Sage Grouse, Snowshoe Hare, etc.  We had just moved in and were relaxing with the windows and doors open as it was a warm night in June.  From the hillside on the south side of our house we suddenly heard what I can only describe as a 'whistling scream' of incredible loudness.  It lasted for about 5 seconds and seemed to come from relatively close by.  There was only the one vocalization but it was enough to thoroughly startle us.

Over the years I have wondered what it might have been.  I know that elk whistle, but have seen no sign of them and all the locals say there are none around.  Cougars (which I have seen there in the wild and captured on trail cam) can scream although I have only heard recordings and none sound even close to what we heard that night.  I've read that Sasquatch both whistle and scream but have not heard of them doing both in combination and was wondering if anyone has?  Or maybe someone can suggest a likely candidate among the more generally accepted animals that makes such a sound.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

#2 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 710 posts
  • LocationMpls Metro, MN, USA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:25 PM

I've heard squatches both scream and whistle, but not together; however, their whistles are throaty and I think they are made by vocal chords (you'd have to hear it to understand what I mean), so the thought that they could be done together in an combined vocal is possible.

Elk and moose both have a bugle, and elk is very shrill, but if they don't live there...?

Don't Believe, Know.

#3 Tom47

Tom47

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:37 PM

Andy -- The sound started out as a very high pitched and loud whistle and then morphed into an incredibly loud and blood curdling scream, so it wasn't whistling at the same time it was screaming.  And the scream portion of the sound was much longer than the whistle, probably 1 second of whistle and 4 seconds of scream or thereabouts as best as I can recall.

There are moose in the country but I've only heard reports of them in the valley bottoms in the marshy areas.  Our property is about 2000 feet higher and I've neither seen any nor heard reports of them there.

Besides the cougars I mentioned in the original post, we also have other predators such as black bear (and once in a great while a grizzly), coyotes, and now and then wolves.  There's also something that rips multi-hundred pound boulders out of the soil and leaves them beside the deep hole remaining after their removal.  My son and daughter-in-law found one last fall while deer hunting on the hillside behind our place (the same one where the scream came from).  My son's a big, strong guy but it was too heavy for him to roll back into the hole, although he tried his best.

And now I'm drifting off topic so I'll end here.  Thanks for the input.

#4 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:44 AM

It's interesting that you're describing a vocalization since I was in the forest at the habitation site like to go to in SW Oregon on Monday and we heard a vocalization neither of us have ever heard before.   It started out as a steady tone and then changed.  It only did it once, and didn't seem that far away, I'm guessing 150 feet.  Question, do sasquatches make single calls and then you don't hear any more?

Later that day we had a flat tire we couldn't change because the owner of the truck didn't have the right size lug wrench.  But he was able to get on his ham radio and found someone to bring a lug wrench out there.  While we were waiting in the truck something hit the truck twice, with only a split second between each one, jarring the whole truck, which is a huge Ford truck with a back seat.  It startled us and we got out and looked around and couldn't figure out what happened.  There were no limbs laying around the truck.  The driver suggested it might have been an earthquake, but I've never heard an earthquake make that kind of noise, which sounded like something hitting the body of the truck.

We didn't camp Monday.  We were just out there looking around.   Today, Wednesday, I'm going there to camp for 7 or 8 days, the first four days I'll be camping by myself, which I know breaks a cardinal rule for camping in the wilderness like this.  Then I'll be joined up for the rest of the camping trip.  So, I appreciate your prayers, for safety and for it to be a productive endeavor of studying sasquatches.

• SRA Andy likes this

#5 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 710 posts
  • LocationMpls Metro, MN, USA

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

Andy -- The sound started out as a very high pitched and loud whistle and then morphed into an incredibly loud and blood curdling scream, so it wasn't whistling at the same time it was screaming.  And the scream portion of the sound was much longer than the whistle, probably 1 second of whistle and 4 seconds of scream or thereabouts as best as I can recall.

There are moose in the country but I've only heard reports of them in the valley bottoms in the marshy areas.  Our property is about 2000 feet higher and I've neither seen any nor heard reports of them there.

Besides the cougars I mentioned in the original post, we also have other predators such as black bear (and once in a great while a grizzly), coyotes, and now and then wolves.  There's also something that rips multi-hundred pound boulders out of the soil and leaves them beside the deep hole remaining after their removal.  My son and daughter-in-law found one last fall while deer hunting on the hillside behind our place (the same one where the scream came from).  My son's a big, strong guy but it was too heavy for him to roll back into the hole, although he tried his best.

And now I'm drifting off topic so I'll end here.  Thanks for the input.

I'd have to say you've done a pretty good job at eliminating other candidates. 

Boulder flipping: I know both grizzlies and squatches will flip boulders to get at the moth larvae underneath them.  In areas where we have both species feeding on this resource, you can usually see the claw marks of the grizzlies on the rocks.  Also the squatches tend to put the rocks back when done, but you can still see that they were disturbed. You can read more about this in our Montana trip report.

It's interesting that you're describing a vocalization since I was in the forest at the habitation site like to go to in SW Oregon on Monday and we heard a vocalization neither of us have ever heard before.   It started out as a steady tone and then changed.  It only did it once, and didn't seem that far away, I'm guessing 150 feet.  Question, do sasquatches make single calls and then you don't hear any more?

Later that day we had a flat tire we couldn't change because the owner of the truck didn't have the right size lug wrench.  But he was able to get on his ham radio and found someone to bring a lug wrench out there.  While we were waiting in the truck something hit the truck twice, with only a split second between each one, jarring the whole truck, which is a huge Ford truck with a back seat.  It startled us and we got out and looked around and couldn't figure out what happened.  There were no limbs laying around the truck.  The driver suggested it might have been an earthquake, but I've never heard an earthquake make that kind of noise, which sounded like something hitting the body of the truck.

We didn't camp Monday.  We were just out there looking around.   Today, Wednesday, I'm going there to camp for 7 or 8 days, the first four days I'll be camping by myself, which I know breaks a cardinal rule for camping in the wilderness like this.  Then I'll be joined up for the rest of the camping trip.  So, I appreciate your prayers, for safety and for it to be a productive endeavor of studying sasquatches.

Yes they do.  We've had this happen a lot.  These soft short range calls are either designed, IMHO, to signal another squatch in the area about your presence, or to try to get a response from you to determine if you are another squatch or not.  They likely figured out what you were and went silent.

As for hitting your truck, they were probably trying to provoke a reaction from you.  I would guess that you'd been sitting there for a while and they wanted to see what you would do.  Do you think they hit the truck personally; it sounds like it to me.

Please be careful and good luck. Let someone know where you are going and when you will be back.  Also set up check in times with someone for those days you will be alone, assuming you have cell service up there.

Don't Believe, Know.

#6 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hello Andy,

There is no cell service but I'll have a spot locator if I get into trouble.  It will notify the ranger who can find me within 20 feet.  I'll be alone until I meet up at a designated place Sunday afternoon.  

Yes, we had been sitting in the truck for a good while as it took the person we found on the ham radio a while to get out there.  It sounded like something slapped the body of the truck.  It was loud and the whole truck moved.  Our first immediate thoughts in our first few seconds were the person who was bringing the lug wrench was there, which didn't make sense since he would be coming from the direction we were facing and we would see him drive up, but it was an unexpected surprise that we tried to make sense of.  I wish we had looked back quickly we might have seen something.  

There was no damage to the truck and no sticks of any kind near the truck.  If a sasquatch did it I think he had to have personally slapped the truck.

The single vocalization was after we had driven down a seldom used road and it ended, and we got out and were surveying the area. 

• SRA Andy likes this

#7 SRA-Todd

SRA-Todd

Researcher

• Researchers
  • 310 posts
  • LocationRamsey, MN

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=A5Tidf2XuXQ

Have you guys watched this one from North Carolina?  Nothing to watch on video, but the vocals are impressive.

• SRA Andy likes this

#8 Tom47

Tom47

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

Boulder flipping: I know both grizzlies and squatches will flip boulders to get at the moth larvae underneath them.  In areas where we have both species feeding on this resource, you can usually see the claw marks of the grizzlies on the rocks.  Also the squatches tend to put the rocks back when done, but you can still see that they were disturbed. You can read more about this in our Montana trip report.

I hadn't thought about claw marks on the rocks.  I've asked my son to send me the picture he took of the boulder and hole the day they found them.  I don't recall seeing any claw marks but now that I know to look for them I want to view the photo a second time.  As for grizzlies, WDFW informs me there are none in my area although I saw one twice.  That was, however, twenty years ago and I've seen no signs of them since and all of the many bears captured by my trail cam at the pond were black bears.

Today, Wednesday, I'm going there to camp for 7 or 8 days, the first four days I'll be camping by myself, which I know breaks a cardinal rule for camping in the wilderness like this.  Then I'll be joined up for the rest of the camping trip.  So, I appreciate your prayers, for safety and for it to be a productive endeavor of studying sasquatches.

Take care, jayjeti.  I shall be thinking of you and look forward to the report on your outing.  Hopefully it will be an interesting but safe experience.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sasquatch, vocalization, sound

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users