14 replies to this topic

#1 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 708 posts
  • LocationMpls Metro, MN, USA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Discuss the “Curious George” Sasquatch Photos, Hubbard Cty, MN, 2010 post.

Don't Believe, Know.

#2 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

SRA Andy:

I should note that the howls could be canine, though they are still interesting.

Don't Believe, Know.

#3 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Geoff Wilson:

I agree. Probably yotes but can’t be sure.

Don't Believe, Know.

#4 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

squatchtoba:

These photos are very interesting. There is obvious movement between shots … although it is very hard to make out what it is. It would be helpful to have the photos filtered , perhaps more detail would come out. The “49 second mark” photo sure looks like a hand shape , I think you just may really have something here ! Great job!!

Don't Believe, Know.

#5 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

SRA Andy:

What do you mean by filtered? We’re not photoshop experts by any means, so if any of you feel you’d like to take a stab at enhancing these photos, please let me know at SRA-Andy@sasquatchresearchers.org, and I will gladly send you copies of the photos to work on.

Thanks,

Andy

Don't Believe, Know.

#6 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

In preparing the forums for release yesterday, I had to go through all of our posts and move the comments to the forums here.  In doing so, I had to enter every post including this one.  Once more, the animated sequence of this set of images really caught my eye.  The more I watch this clip, the more details I see.  For instance, if you look at the brush under the figure, you can see movement down near the ground as it moves its legs.  This wouldn't happen at all if it were a grouse or raccoon as I have read others claim on Bigfoot Evidence.  To be honest, these pictures taken together are quite good.  I really wish the trail camera had a higher resolution.

Is there anybody out there with Photoshop/GIMP experience who like to take a crack at sharpening/adjusting these images?

Thanks,

Andy

Don't Believe, Know.

#7 SRA Jim

SRA Jim

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorthern Minnesota

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Actually the first photo in the series of shots is the best in my opinion. As if you look very closely you can see the upper portion of the head peeking over the brush pile. This photo was the hardest to find anything in. I actually didn't see anything in it for quite some time.

#8 woohoo

woohoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

My thought is it knew the camera was there since it entered the camera range unseen and the first peek was in the direction of the camera.  Does the trap camera have a delay after a burst of photos are taken?  I was wondering why the creature came so soon after the atv rolled across and set off the camera.  If there is a 1 minute delay, for example, maybe the entrance of the creature happened during the down time.  I am a believer that the Sasquatches can see IR and avoid the camera traps.  There are an untold amount of trail cameras out there, and not may viable Sasquatch photos exist. So, if it is an IR trail camera and the creature entered undetected, it may know cameras have a down time and entered right after the camera stopped taking photos of the passing atv.  There are some reports of sticks or feathers crossing in front of trail cameras and then the cameras are effectively disabled (i.e. turned) before they are able to take more photos of the designated area.

#9 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

Jim, is more knowledgeable about this camera than I.  In this case though the camera was placed near Jim's truck.  Jim, my son, and I were sitting about 20 yards to the right in this photo.  I presume that the squatch was there to watch us.  It likely re-positioned itself to watch the ATVs drive away and then hearing the camera firing looked at it and then withdrew.

I'm personally not in the camp that squatches can see IR.  We have proven that all of the game cameras make a lot of high frequency sound, even when not active.  We believe that it is this sound that clues them off, not the IR. Being able to see that far into the IR spectrum would not really be advantageous to a nocturnal creature as there are very few sources of natural IR light at night.  It would make a lot more sense if they could see UV as UV is abundant throughout the night.

To add evidence to this theory, We've used red lights and IR for years while looking for squatches, yet they only seem to really shy away from us when we turn on our electronic recording devices.  I think the cacophony of high-frequency sound is what is most off putting to them.  Until we can get game trail camera manufacturers to make truly silent cameras, I don't think things will change much.

2-cents.

Andy

Don't Believe, Know.

#10 SRA Jim

SRA Jim

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorthern Minnesota

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

The fact is that I was actually walking over to my truck to retrieve my cell phone which was in my truck on the charger at the time the photos were taken. We were late for a meeting at another camp because I had cut firewood and we were stacking it and lost track of time. The photos may have been much better had I not walked in that direction. But who really knows? I think it heard the camera, but don't think that was much of an issue as it also heard the noises from my trucks computers and us stacking wood. It knew we were there and was sneaking up to check us out. The electronic sounds aren't an issue if they know where we are. But if they hear that in the middle of the woods and can't find the location of the humans , they stear clear of the area. We have proven that other animals including deer can hear trail cams, so we are assuming that Squatch can as well. And they are a lot more intelligent. So they know that electronic sounds are associated with humans.

#11 woohoo

woohoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

Good point Andy.  My knowledge of the these cameras is low and I have heard others describing the electronic noise even while instruments are idle.

Did the sasquatch approach from an angle to block your vision as well or only the camera's line of sight?  Or maybe you were not visible and sitting quietly compared to the atvs driving by and that would explain why it would approach from that angle.

I am just curious about the sasquatch's motivation so please let me know if my questions are bothersome.

#12 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

You are right about them making noise even when idle.  Most actually do, except for the Reconyx Hyperfire, which is now our camera of choice.

No we weren't quiet at all.  I had my rambunctious 11-year old boy with us.  Also, at the time the photos were taken, Jim had just gotten up and went to his truck (which was near the camera) to get his phone.  If anything, it may have been reacting to Jim moving. (I'd forgotten this part, Jim just reminded me.)

I think it was originally trying to hide from us while watching us.  The ATVs and Jim moving likely pushed to move into the cameras field of view.

The few times we have gotten anything on cameras is when we have had them near vehicles, which are likely making a whole host of noises all their own.  

I know of one researcher (Randy) who actually places the cameras where he doesn't want the squatches to go so he can direct them to where he has a better chance of seeing them using his thermal.

Andy

• Bruce Johnson likes this

Don't Believe, Know.

#13 MissSquatcher

MissSquatcher

Novice Squatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

I like your points about the sounds of the camera. I have always been of the believe that if you are going to use a game camera to try to capture sasquatch it should be in an area of human activity. As you're right, hearing the sounds of the cameras in the middle of nowhere would set off red flags. But if it is placed on your vehicle or rv looking over your camp, it's more likely they won't find it as out of place.

And that's when they seem to come around- when people are just out doing their thing.

• SRA Andy likes this

#14 woohoo

woohoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Andy,

I looked at it again tonight and maybe I was wrong about photo #3.  I was watching the diagonal log, about where there is a small broken stub visible in the control photo of the cycle.  If you let the photos cycle and blur your vision you can see a change in that area above the log and up slightly to the right.  A gap in the leaves changes up there as well.  I can't see any detail and maybe it is just part of the camera and lighting that creates the effect.  

#15 hiflier

hiflier

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hello All,

I read a post elsewhere in which it is believed that Sasquatch, like other animals, view being looked at as an aggressive act. The conversation was exploring the idea that looking in one direction AWAY from the the fringe of a wooded area might allow a Sasquatch a sense of safety and expose themselves. Thd camera one holds however WOULD be pointed at the wood's fringe areas. Say at 90 degrees left or right of the direction someone is actually facing. It was a thread on how to put the animal at ease enough to have them stand up or come out from behind a tree. Not a bad approach IMHO.
  • Bruce Johnson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users