3 replies to this topic

#1 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts
  • LocationMpls Metro, MN, USA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Discuss the Bonsai Tree, UP Michigan 2008 post.

Don't Believe, Know.

#2 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

rld9003:

HI ANDY,

YOUR OBSERVATION OF THE CEDAR TREE IS INTERESTING. WE HAVE A CEDAR/ASH SWAMP ON OUR PROPERTY THAT HAS MANY CEDARS JUST LIKE THE ONE YOU HAVE PICTURED. THE NATURE OF MY BUSINESS ALLOWS ME TO “GOOF OFF” ALOT IN THE WOODS IN THE WINTER. I HAVE WALKED OUR SWAMP MANY TIMES AND BEING SOMEWHAT OF AN OBSERVANT/CURIOUS PERSON, INVESTIGATED THESE SAME TYPES OF TREES. i ALWAYS THOUGHT OF “DOING SOMETHING WITH THEM” SUCH AS FURNITURE. I HAVE SEEN YOUNG TREES BENT OVER DUE TO THE WEIGHT OF ICE AND OR SNOW. FREQUENTLY, THESE TREES HANG UP ON OTHER TREES AND TWIST AND CONFORM TO ANY SPACE ALLOWED. DEER WILL FIND THESE TREES AND BEGIN BROWSING ON THEM ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. DEPENDING ON WINTER SEVERITY,
THESE TREE CAN BE SO RAVAGED BY DEER, THAT IN A FEW DAYS, ONE WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO FIND A HANDFULL OF GREEN LEFT ON THEM. THIS PRUNING OF THE TREE LEAVES NO TOP BUT PLENTY OF ROOT SYSTEM. WHEN THE TREE BEGINS TO GROW AGAIN, IT HAS SO MUCH ROOT CAPACITY AND NO TOP TO FEED, THAT IT LITERALLY CAN EXPLODE WITH NEW GROWTH. BEING “HUNG UP” IN VARIOUS SPOTS, CAN PRODUCE THESE BENDS AND GROUND RUNNERS. IT”S A PERFECTLY NATURAL
SITUATION. IF A SASQUATCH DID GARDEN LIKE YOU ARE SUGGESTING…I WOULD HAVE TO QUESTION THE PURPOSE. I’M SURE IT WOULDN’T BE THEIR HOBBY. ANOTHER RESULT FROM THE WEIGHT OF SNOW/ICE IS THE FIBOROUS STRUCTURE OF THE STRANDS OF WOOD IN A TREE ARE COMPROMISED AND WEAKENED. THE RESULT IS THAT THE TREE CAN NO-LONGER SUPPORT ITS WEIGHT IN THE ORIGINAL POSITION.
I’VE BEEN IN THE NURSERY/LANDSCAPE BUSINESS FOR 42 YRS. AND HAVE WITNESSED THIS IN OUR NURSERY TREES ALSO. I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH. JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT,

REGARDS,

RICK D.

Don't Believe, Know.

#3 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

SRA Andy:

Excellent reply, Rick D., just the sort of critical thinking we want around here. I appreciate your insights and comments. I’m not certain that I 100% agree with your conclusions, but they do have merit.

The tree is odd, and there really were none others in the area like it. The main trunk shows signs of a heal torsional bend.

As for why would a squatch do this, I feel that it could be used as a shelter or hunting blind, indeed there was sign the something had been occupying the space under the boughs.

But as you said, we cannot rule out natural causes either. As with all stick structures, they are open to misinterpretation and could always have a source other than squatches.

That said, it is a pretty cool thing, no matter how it was formed. icon_smile.gif

Andy

Don't Believe, Know.

#4 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Jim:

As you know I am a skeptic of stick structures. Though I have seen some that were either man made or it had to have been Sasquatch. I will give you that. I do think that Squatch does at times manipulate the trees in the forest for their given purpose at the time. Whether it is for shelter. barricades, or directing game. I do find a couple of things interesting about this situation. One is that this is by a spring. That in itself might indicate that they may have been responsible for the tree being bent either originally by accident or on purpose (we will never know). If on purpose it may have been done to direct any animals coming to drink at the spring to approach the spring from a given direction. That’s a possibility. Second thing I noticed is the fact the branches are growing to the sides and have not turned upward. That may be because if the Squatch in the area come to the spring to drink I m sure they bring their young with them. In that case the young like all young creatures in the forest love to play. And if they are there they probably love to climb all over that tree there, in hanging and stepping on those branches thus keeping them from growing upward. As it is evident that they were growing upward at one time. Could this be from the snow load during the winter months? Sure. But the trees are going to actually grow during the summer months. So in my opinion if the snow bent them down during the winter we would see signs that during the summer the fresh growth would rebound toward the sun. Just my observations.

Don't Believe, Know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users