4 replies to this topic

#1 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 708 posts
  • LocationMpls Metro, MN, USA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Discuss the Scat, Northern Minnesota, 2009 post.

Don't Believe, Know.

#2 Tom47

Tom47

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

I found the scat shown at the link here on my remote property yesterday while checking the fence line.  After doing some research at other sites, I did a search here to see what information was available in the forums and found the link to the Northern Minnesota scat photo.  There is a decided similarity.

The sample in my photo measures 2-3/4 inches in diameter and about 7 inches long.  From the website bigfootencounters.com I found this article on distinguishing Sasquatch scat from bear and other animal sign.  They say that Sasquatch droppings are generally 2-1/2 to 3 inches in diameter an in piles 18 to 19 inches across while bear droppings seldom exceed 2 inches in diameter.  Another bear site reported that 58% of grizzly bear scats are less than 2" in diameter.  In addition, the Sasquatch scats were reported to be moist and glossy when fresh.

In the case of my sample, the scat appears to be somewhat dried and, as suggested by the area of depressed grass and staining around it, may have shrunk somewhat.  If it was originally as large as the depressed/stained area, it would have been approximately 3-3/4 inches in diameter.  Even at its current size, it is very large for a bear -- even for a grizzly bear.  The large seeds visible in the sample are probably hawthorn as this plant is abundant in the area and currently has a heavy crop of berries.

I'm hoping that the more experienced members here can help in identification of this find, as there is obviously something very large on the prowl.  While a Sasquatch would be one thing, a grizzly bear would be a very dangerous other.  There are a very few families who live in this area, some with small children, and they have a right to know if a large bear is in the neighborhood.

Whether or not it's related to the animal that left this sign, there has been a marked drop in wildlife activity in the area in the past week to week-and-a-half.  The woods are deathly still.

Thanks in advance for any input regarding this matter.

Tom

#3 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:44 AM

It might be good to take a photo for research purposes and so those who are familiar with it can help identify it.  Andy once commented that bear scat smells somewhat fruity, but sasquatch scat stinks like a human's.

#4 Tom47

Tom47

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

Hi jayjeti,

I posted a full resolution photo at the link in my original comment.  Here it is again if it didn't come through:

http://s296.photobuc...a/scat.jpg.html

Also, I didn't notice any odor although I didn't exactly put my nose to it and sniff, either.

Anyway, I wanted to say that I got so involved in describing my find that I forgot to comment on the Northern Minnesota 2009 photo.  First of all, a diameter of 2 inches would be very large for a black bear.  My field guide (Murie) lists black bear scat at around 1-3/8 inches.  The 2 inch size is even a bit large for a grizzly, but still withing the known size range.  The problem is, it seems there are no grizzlies in Northern Minnesota, and never have been, according the the map in this document:

http://www.boone-cro...ockies_back.pdf

I'll be interested in what anyone has to say about either or both of these finds.

#5 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

I hope that some of the others will weigh their opinions on what kind of scat they believe that is (2 3/4 inches wide and 7 inches long).  It certainly has a lot of seeds.  I'm no good at telling the difference between sasquatch and bear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users