8 replies to this topic

#1 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts
  • LocationMpls Metro, MN, USA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Discuss the Minnesota Howls, March 2012 post.

Don't Believe, Know.

#2 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Squatchtoba:

These recordings are very interesting indeed. I agree that not all the howling sounds typical of timber wolves , but I do think that is what you have here. This is my take on the sounds ; … I think what you have here is a pack of timber (grey ) wolves after a cow moose and calf. The wolves have the moose in between them and the “snapping” or “crashing” sounds are two panicked moose trying to leave the area. Hey , I could be totally wrong, ( kind of hope I am) but I have had close encounters with wolves on many occasions , Whiteshell Provincial Park , Riding Mountain National Park , and points north around Thompson and Flin Flon all in Manitoba. One of the largest timber wolves I ever saw matter of fact was at a small northern Minnesota town called Orr. It was standing on the shoulder of the hi-way in the middle of the night … it was huge!!! This is just a fantastic site you guys have going here and my comments are in no way meant to belittle your efforts at all… just to give a different slant on things. Like I said , I could be totaly wrong on my thoughts here !!!! Actually I hope I am !!!

Don't Believe, Know.

#3 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

SRA Andy:

No need to apologize for your opinions, squatchtoba. Evidence discussion is what we are all about, and everyone is entitled to their opinions as long as they are respectful of others.

Personally, I am hoping Monongahela will chime in here as his analysis of these is a lot better than mine.

Don't Believe, Know.

#4 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

SRA-Todd:

Andy-Some of the folks on BFF are asking what type of recorder was used and the software used to transfer it to the other computer. Do you have that? Thanks

Don't Believe, Know.

#5 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

SRA Andy:

Yeah, he used a Sony PCM-M10 recorder. He couldn’t figure out how to get the file off of the recorder because it had recorded it in one big chunk. He brought the recorder to Jim who figured out how to split the file up on the recorder using the editing tools on the recorder itself. He then connected it to his PC and copied the files off of the recorder. Jim sent me the pertinent original mp3 file. I cropped it in Audacity and posted it here, The shorter clips I cropped and amplified using Audacity.

Don't Believe, Know.

#6 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

I really enjoy this sound set.  Some is known but many sounds are not known.

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#7 SRA-Todd

SRA-Todd

Researcher

• Researchers
  • 324 posts
  • LocationRamsey, MN

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:45 AM

I found this courtesy of the folks over at the BFF.  I submitted a portion of this to them and we'll see if they select it for analysis.

http://www.npr.org/2...hear-in-nature?

Would love to hear what they think.

#8 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

I found this courtesy of the folks over at the BFF.  I submitted a portion of this to them and we'll see if they select it for analysis.

http://www.npr.org/2...hear-in-nature?

Would love to hear what they think.

Agreed.

Perhaps we should contact them and have them tell us...or...help us figure out what it is.

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#9 SRA-Todd

SRA-Todd

Researcher

• Researchers
  • 324 posts
  • LocationRamsey, MN

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

Listen to the first 3 minutes of this video.

He is using these howls during his intro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users