Bigfoot believer claims DNA proves beast's existence

#2 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

Proving sasquatch with hair DNA, IMHO, is never going to happen. 

WHY?

Because if it was going to happen, it already would have.  There have literally been 100s of hairs tested...with results "matching no know species."

IF, I personally plucked some hairs from a sasquatch...and it was video taped and (for the sake of argument) sealed and delivered unmodified to a DNA testing facility.  That facility tested it against "known DNA", they would have no choice but to find the sample "not matching any known species"

Why, because they do not exist in the scientific community.  Nor do they exist as a "known species" for purposes of DNA comparison.

My sarcastic mind says, "Really, who knew a hair from a creature no one has ever collected any DNA from would match anything in a database which cannot contain a sample of that species as known species"

Circular Logic.

You cannot prove a negative, last time I checked.

<sorry for the sarcastic rant...it just frustrates and disappoints me that our scientific society is afraid to do their job.  Which at this moment is how I feel about the DNA testing issue>

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#3 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:09 AM

Kris,

As you note, there has been sasquatch DNA tested.  It comes up human or human and some unknown.  As you comment, they can't match it to a known species and therefore it proves nothing.  If Standing believed he would prove their existence with DNA he's uninformed.  Often times skeptical scientists will label it contaminated or inconclusive.  Dr. Ketchum has been given DNA from many sources, and she has her testing done at several university labs which used washing techniques to remove contaminants, but there are skeptical scientists who invariably claim the sample must have been contaminated with human DNA when it was handled.  A lot of skepticism in the bigfoot community about Dr. Ketchum actually originates from some select vocal non-believing scientists who trash the findings, which gets repeated in media outlets, and many bigfoot believers are convinced Dr. Ketchum is a fraud or off her rocker.

Standing might have collected actual DNA of a sasquatch, I don't know.  I believe there are instances where sasquatch DNA has been rendered human.  If they are relict hominids, and therefore a species of man, I can see how some might interpret the DNA that way.

This is a confusing paragraph.

Three tests concluded the hair matched human genes. The lab also compared the strand to the DNA of chimpanzees — the closest genetic relative of humans — and found it matched, to varying degrees.

“Based on my results, it looks like it’s human hair,” said Stephen Fratpietro, who conducted the tests. “That’s what every indication has led me to believe.”

#4 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

More web spinning

More political spinning

Standing has placed himself in a no-win situation...and is public conduct is the leverage the media will use to make his reputation count for nothing in the final determination...

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: december, 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users