#1 Tom47

Tom47

Novice Squatcher

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

This past summer I began running an audio recorder overnight at our remote property in northern Okanogan County, Washington.  At 6:46 PDT on the morning of June 4 the recorder captured what sounds like a Great Horned Owl call but, at least to me, not exactly like one.  You can listen to the recording here:

For comparison, I downloaded the Great Horned Owl call below from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website:

Although similar in pitch, the two parts of the owl call are more distinctly separated rather than slurred together as in the unknown.  Also, the accents are placed differently in the two calls and the unknown has, at least to my ears, a huskier tone than the owl.

The sound spectrogram shown below illustrates some of these differences:

The owl call is on the left and the unknown on the right.  The spectrogram clearly shows the separation between the two parts of the owl call and the rather large number of harmonics compared to the unknown.  The latter difference may be why the unknown sounds huskier to me.

I am open to any comments, critiques, or suggestions for improvement in the collection and interpretation of field-collected audio data.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vocalizations, whoops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users