3 replies to this topic

#1 SRA-Todd

SRA-Todd

Researcher

• Researchers
  • 324 posts
  • LocationRamsey, MN

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:03 PM

How good are humans at accurately estimating size in anything we see? I'm guessing we are bad at it, 

I'm not just talking about height, but weight too.  There must be a study out there somewhere.  Time to go searching.

My prediction is we over-estimate on height and under estimate on weight.  

#2 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

I take it that's when people don't take the time to compare and measure, if possible, some object it stood next to.

Fortunately on some sightings they walk directly next to a tree or just under a branch which can be measured later.  I read a report of one ducking under a tree branch that when measured later was nine feet off of the ground.  John Green and another researcher when to bluff creek not long after Patterson filmed Patty and they measured where it had walked in front of a tree which I think was 7'6".  I don't believe that accounted for the fact that sasquatches keep their knees bent when they walk.  Bill Munns later tried to figure out the height of Patty, going to Bluff Creek and tried to guess at the distance and type of camera used and came up with 6'6", which skeptics gleefully repeated claiming Patty wasn't as tall as people had claimed, but I think I'll go with the original measurements which are more accurate.

One I saw stood next to a steep embankment, and the next day I went and stood where it had stood to see how much taller it was compared to me next to the embankment where it stood and I initially came up with nine feet, which I couldn't accept, and when telling people how tall it was I revised it down to a more conservative height because I was already afraid of not being believed.

#3 Redbone

Redbone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:58 PM

I caught a show about mothman once and they did a test on how well people could judge the height of a cutout figure. People can be very bad at judging size without some reference point.

edit: here is the show, the size comparison test starts at about 30 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/ruaIiVyrd4I?t=29m58s

A mind that is stretched by a new experience, can never go back to it's old dimensions. Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
When you consider all the the things that people COULD describe, there's just a marvelous consistency in what they DO describe. John Green

#4 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

I caught a show about mothman once and they did a test on how well people could judge the height of a cutout figure. People can be very bad at judging size without some reference point.

edit: here is the show, the size comparison test starts at about 30 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/ruaIiVyrd4I?t=29m58s

Great find Redbone.

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users