#1 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

There is a court case looking into giving animals with human like characteristics, like Chimpanzees, special rights above other animals.  The only reason I bring up that news article here is if sasquatches are recognized by the scientific community as an actual species we will likely see some kind of legal action to give them rights, perhaps even as an indigenous people.

http://www.examiner....dd-court-debate

#2 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

examiner.com

Chimp personhood: Human-like animals need human-like rights in odd court debate 

October 9, 2014

9:32 AM MST

•  
b666b257b32b7f08525376dbb85c5e51.jpg?ito
Play
Do chimpanzees deserve the same legal rights as humans? A U.S. animal rights group, the Nonhuman Rights Project, argues they do. This in what they are calling the first lawsuit aimed at establishing the "legal personhood" of chimpanzees.
on.aol.com

The New York Appeals Court has a different type of debate on its plate today with Attorney Steve Wise attempting to make a case that animals with certain human-like qualities, like a chimpanzee, deserve basic rights. It’s been suggested to Wise that animals have rights and he might be better served walking down the avenue of animal rights with the chimp, Tommy, who he is trying to free from captivity, according to News Max on Oct. 8.

510115a5dc8c799e56e2fd644051c652.jpg?ito
Chimp personhood, an argument debated in court for animals with human-like qualities.
Facebook/ Adventures

Basically Wise sees Tommy the chimp as falling somewhere on the spectrum between human rights and animal rights. Because the chimp has some human qualities, he would like to see animals, like Tommy, fall under a different set of rules, reports News Science Magazine.

Wise argues that Tommy is kept in captivity, which is unfair considering that the chimp shares some human qualities and you wouldn’t cage a human. He wants this chimp, who currently lives in Upstate New York, to be released to a place in Florida that rescues chimpanzees and puts them in a habitat where they run free.

Wise’s Nonhuman Rights Project would end up protecting chimps, gorillas, elephants, dolphins and other animals that have human-like qualities. He wants them to live under different rights than other animals that are caged.

Tommy lives in a cage, but it is a seven room cage with plenty of toys. He is cared for around the clock by people who care about him. This chimp has special needs, said his owner Patrick Lavery of Gloversville. Tommy was an entertainment chimp that was placed with Lavery several years ago.

Lavery believes if you put Tommy in that habitat with other chimps, he won’t survive. He’s never been associated with other chimps and “he could get hurt if he was in the wrong atmosphere,” said Lavery.

Wise wants to see animals like the chimp fall under rules where caging them would be illegal. This personhood parigram would weaken if it was extended to animals, said Richard Cupp, a professor at Pepperdine Law School. He is a noted author on the legal and moral status of animals.

Rights come with responsibilities, notes Cupp. Several Judges have also brought this point up in the debate over changing the laws for certain animals to have personhood rights. Tommy’s welfare falls under the laws that see to it that animals don’t get mistreated. One of the judges suggested that trying to get Tommy into that habitat in Florida might best be addressed under the animal laws.

Wise maintains that it is unlawful to confine a human being to a cage. He wants to see the same type of rights be passed down to include the animals that show human-like qualities. While the debate is on, it looks as if Wise’s request for law changes might be a hard sell.

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#3 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

I was unable to post the video on the link; so, I just provided the link.  You have to open the link on the beginning post to see the video.

#4 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:32 AM

A case is before the New York supreme court on giving chimpanzees legal rights.  The question of whether the most intelligent non-human animal should have a legal status beyond mere objects is one that will likely occur if sasquatches become a recognized species. 

http://www.telegraph...and-whales.html

#5 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

There was a study done a year or 5 back discussing the testing to figure out what the smarted non-human creature was...and they found it to be the dog.  SO, the chip/primate concept of being smarter than other animals made not be as clearly cut.  And in either case, this ruling your speaking of will be most interesting.

Tow examples of the article I'm thinking of: 

http://www.businessi...he-world-2014-4

http://www.nbcnews.c...s/#.VYMKaY4o7cs

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#6 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:46 PM

One of the articles states, "In many ways dogs may be more human-like than any other species, even non-human primates," researchers wrote in a 2008 dog intelligence study published in the Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior.  In a separate study, Brian Hare, an expert in canine cognition, showed that dogs can follow and respond to human gestures, like pointing and eye movements, without training."

My experience with dogs is when I try to point toward something they stare at my hand.  However, many years ago I pointed toward some bushes I had previously seen a sasquatch squat down behind, but I could no longer see it.  Because I pointed out that bush to someone the sasquatch stood up and casually walked into the woods out of view, realizing what my hand gesture meant.  My opinion, sasquatches are more humanlike and smarter than dogs.

#7 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

LOL

Not challenging sasquatch vs dogs.  

It is clear to me that sasquatch is smarter than a dog...no contest...

53dc6f86a3a9c2d44978e05c08e890da.jpg

while the dog is not.

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: october, 2014, law

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users