1 reply to this topic

#1 mtbaker01

mtbaker01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

This is something I have been interested in lately. My encounter report that I posted on the website was kinda short compared to others I have read in various places. The main reason for that was because it happened so suddenly and I wanted to stick to the facts.

But I'm not really focusing on actual encounter reports. I'm mostly interested in writing expedition reports so I can give other researchers a good idea of what happens when I go squatching. Reports that I can potentially post on this site for anyone interested in reading them.

What kind of information should I include in these reports? Should I carry a notebook so if something happens I can immediately write it down?

It has been 15 years since I was on active duty. Even though I went through a short course that Recon Marines go/went through doesn't mean I was on that level. Most of the info in that scout skier course was focused on navigation and safely leading Marines through the mountains in winter. But we still did learn about scouting and not being seen which was pretty fun.

Alot of you guys have skills I don't have but I really want to learn this stuff.

β€œHe that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.”
― JRR Tolkien

#2 SRA-Todd

SRA-Todd

Researcher

• Researchers
  • 297 posts
  • LocationRamsey, MN

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

I always bring a notebook and pen with me on every outing and I write down every detail when something occurs, no matter how mundane.  I will then transcribe once I get home and distribute to everyone else to verify what I remembered was correct.  The human capacity for memory can be influenced by so many different factors, that the quicker it gets down in writing, then the more likely it can be considered reliable.  I like going back and reading some old encounters and it's really interesting on some of the details I've forgotten over the years.  

I would say it's a must have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users