16 replies to this topic

#1 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts
  • LocationMpls Metro, MN, USA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

Read about the expedition in the Blog Post. 

Ask any questions you may have here.

Andy

Don't Believe, Know.

#2 mtbaker01

mtbaker01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

What do you guys think of me bringing a 2nd tent on the expedition that can be used like a blind to film out of? One person could be inside the inner tent sleeping and the other person could be in the vestibule with my night vision camera setup ready to film out the vent.

I'll be getting this tent for other reasons but I figure since I will have it maybe we could use it on the expedition.

http://www.hilleberg.../nammatj2gt.php

“He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.”
JRR Tolkien

#3 mtbaker01

mtbaker01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

Nevermind. I remembered squatches don't care about what I want them to do.

JRR Tolkien

#4 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

We could try it.  

Sorry about the slow response.  Kris and I were out of town for a week and the internet at the hotel was horrible!  Also, my own PC is down and out with a virus.  :angry:

Don't Believe, Know.

#5 mtbaker01

mtbaker01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

I just meant nevermind to the extra tent. My tent has a roof vent that I can peek out of. I figure it makes more sense to use what I already have since I don't know if it will work.

JRR Tolkien

#6 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

I think your idea is a good one.

My wife & I often do the "Bait & Observe" technique.  One where I typically sleep very noisily, both keeping her awake and allowing her to make observations.

It is my opinion that they will hear and interpret the noisy sleeper as someone who is sleeping and thus let them feel more confident to go closer or test the boundaries of the camp area.  On several occasions This has worked to our advantage...but we didn't have any nice toys to record these observations.

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#7 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

We have also had suggestions of observation Shifts...

Team A gets the day shift and Team B gets the night shift.  Where there duties are to be the observers of a given area.  The issue with this is that it is difficult to sleep during the day, and if you do not have a good amount of sleep, even the "Monster Guzzling" observer will fade off to sleep (I will speak from experience on this one).

Again, Not sure if this will be a good idea or not, just one that was suggested and I even think tried but to what level of success I do not know.

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#8 mtbaker01

mtbaker01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

I have been thinking about something similar in a way. You guys could place me and another person in different spots over the course of the expedition. Wherever that seems the most promising.

I'm going to make some test videos this coming week out of my tent to see how it works. I just want to get used to doing it this month and see if I can get any footage of smaller animals.

JRR Tolkien

#9 Cowboy

Cowboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

I think your idea is a good one.

My wife & I often do the "Bait & Observe" technique.  One were I typically sleep very noisily, both keeping her awake and allowing her to make observations.

It is my opinion that they will hear and interpret the noisy sleeper as someone who is sleeping and thus let them feel more confident to go closer or test the boundaries of the camp area.  On several occasions This has worked to our advantage...but we didn't have any nice toys to record these observations.

Here's another idea - I have no idea if it works with Sasquatches or not but it does work with birds.  Two (or three) people go into a blind (or tent).  One comes out and leaves.  I don't know about Sasquatches, but birds can't count and think everyone is gone so they are not afraid of it any longer.  It works with birds - I know that for a fact. 

#10 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

Here's another idea - I have no idea if it works with Sasquatches or not but it does work with birds.  Two (or three) people go into a blind (or tent).  One comes out and leaves.  I don't know about Sasquatches, but birds can't count and think everyone is gone so they are not afraid of it any longer.  It works with birds - I know that for a fact. 

My nickname is "the Clown Tent"

This has been tried before and the greatest success happens when the number of clowns going in and out of a tent are at least 8 and when only one clown remains.

The big thing with this is that each person has to be dressed is closely as possible everyone goes in and then come out but one short.

Issues that make this method unusefull:

1) if the person is noisy

2) if the tent moves or makes noise when the person moves

3) the tent &/or windows are too transparent.  This is particularly difficult during the day.

I'm sure there are other issues. but you get the idea.

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#11 mtbaker01

mtbaker01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

...but we didn't have any nice toys to record these observations.

That is why this expedition is going to be so much fun. I intend on letting everyone use my toys.

• SRA Andy likes this
JRR Tolkien

#12 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:24 AM

That is why this expedition is going to be so much fun. I intend on letting everyone use my toys.

That is very generous of you.

We too have many more toys than we did back then.  Also, the expedition itself is a fundraiser for the SRA so we can get even more toys for everyone to play with. We are about 1/4 of the way to one of these:

ts32.jpg

Getting a thermal imager with on-board push button recording is our highest priority after keeping the lights on around here.

• mtbaker01 likes this

Don't Believe, Know.

#13 mtbaker01

mtbaker01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

And just to let everyone know what one of my toys is. People have to be US citizens to use this. I don't want to go to prison and I'm sure none of you do either.

https://tnvc.com/sho...-gen3-pinnacle/

I will be bringing two different helmets. Both size XL.

https://tnvc.com/sho...f-shell-helmet/

https://tnvc.com/sho...al-bump-helmet/

And I mean I will let people look thru it while I am standing next to them

• SRA Andy likes this
JRR Tolkien

#14 SRA-Todd

SRA-Todd

Researcher

• Researchers
  • 345 posts
  • LocationRamsey, MN

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

We are starting to get close to heading out for this trip.  I will be posting daily weather reports for the location, although it won't be disclosed for about another week. 

Wednesday, August 27th

Hi 65 Lo 49 and 50% chance of precip

Thursday, August 28th

Hi 67 Lo 51 and 20 % chance of precip

Stay tuned and let's start the discussion.  Getting excited.

#15 jayjeti

jayjeti

Researcher

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:35 AM

If some of those attending the expedition have an iphone 5 they might want to consider buying a thermal imaging app that fits onto their iphone for $349. That beats the thousands of dollars thermal imaging cameras cost. Camera phones are not the best video devise for capturing sasquatches compared to regular camcorders, but the big plus is the cost. The link below is a site selling the app. It also has a simulator showing what you might see when using it.

http://flir.com/flirone/

Here is an article about the "Flir One" application that you can add onto iphone 5's. This add-on just hit the market July 1st. The article talks about a new imaging technology. It states, "Early thermal cameras used liquid nitrogen to cool their detector circuitry to help sense faint differences in thermal signatures. That approach is still used in high-end devices for military and aerospace applications. More recently, manufacturers have developed less-expensive imaging sensors that don't require special cooling. These microbolometers, as they are called, have an array of pixels that act like tiny thermometers and are packaged in a vacuum."

The article also states, "The new products reflect a series of improvements in sensors and manufacturing techniques that could ultimately make thermal imaging a built-in feature of many consumer products."

http://online.wsj.co...ctions_business

Exciting stuff!!

#16 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, we've been looking at getting one of those for the SRA, but none of us have an iPhone 5.  I can buy one with no plan for about $400.  With the iPhone 6 coming out next month, the 5 prices will plummet and I'll likely pick one up myself or for the SRA, depending on funds.  Equipment purchases is going to be a discussion topic at the Member's meeting in September (soon to be publicly announced, currently announced in the Member's forum).

Andy

Don't Believe, Know.

#17 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

I agree Jayjeti, I'd like to get one of 15 of them...but i'll wait for the prices to fall before i seriously look into purchasing the flir iphone adapter.

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2014, expedition, blog, question, registration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users