1 reply to this topic

#1 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 724 posts
  • LocationMpls Metro, MN, USA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Discuss the new Squatch Crazy post here.

Don't Believe, Know.

#2 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

This is what I remember.

A trail that would end at small overgrown patches of balsam fir trees.  that if you just walked through, would bring you to the trail on the otherside...  It was strange in the sence that I had never experienced that before or never noticed that kind of trail behavior before. 

How were we going down the trail?  Well, when we were walking down this trail, we didn't do a lot of talking and when we did talk it was in lower tones. and in a close group setting as we would gather around points of interest, like the tree-top twist offs.

What Andy hasn't told you is that the woodland sounds like birds in the distance, frogs and the like were very faint and far away from us in the woods.  Not like they would be if you walked down a fairly groomed trail.  When i say groomed, I mean there were few if any sticks to walk on - as if all had been removed.  So there was not enough noise to quiet the woods around us.

The best way to describe the woodland ambiance where we parked our van would be one of "normal" woodland noises.  You could hear crows or squirrel chatter, birdsong both near us and also further into the woods, giving it a rich audio depth.  While we were on this trail after the water hazard, the woods had basically stopped all audio output.  It was almost devoid of distant woodland noises as well.

In my opinion and experience in the woods, this was not normal quiet.  This was the kind of quiet you get when there is a predator in the area and the rest of the animals don't want to be lunch, so they stop all activity and hunker down until the threat is gone.  This was on all sides of us.  Ahead, behind and to the sides.

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users