#1 MissSquatcher

MissSquatcher

Novice Squatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

About a month ago my friend and I were out testing some new equipment.

We had no expectations about what we might see, or hear. But much to our surprise we may have gotten a reply to some wood knocks we made!

I wanted to share this with all of you and get your opinions!

Have a listen and let me know what you think.

The SRA has more details on the event that they will be posting, but please let me know if you have any questions!

https://soundcloud.c...-knock-response

#2 mtbaker01

mtbaker01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEagan, MN

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Sounds like a knock response to me! Great job!

β€œHe that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.”
― JRR Tolkien

#3 MissSquatcher

MissSquatcher

Novice Squatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

It is sure something!!

Can't wait to get back out to the location and search for some more evidence.

#4 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 710 posts
  • LocationMpls Metro, MN, USA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hey Cori, I'll be posting your report on this either tomorrow or Tuesday.  I'm just waiting for our Webmaster to create an Alberta tag for me.  Your's is our first Canadian report! :)

• MissSquatcher likes this

Don't Believe, Know.

#5 MissSquatcher

MissSquatcher

Novice Squatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thanks Andy!

Exciting to be the first Canadian report!

Hopefully I will get more evidence to share with ya'll

#6 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hey Cori, I'll be posting your report on this either tomorrow or Tuesday.  I'm just waiting for our Webmaster to create an Alberta tag for me.  Your's is our first Canadian report! :)

Still waiting on the map; Dave got busy.  If I don't have it by tomorrow, I'll post it without the Alberta map.  Sorry for the delay.

Don't Believe, Know.

#7 MissSquatcher

MissSquatcher

Novice Squatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

thanks for posting our report!

Does anyone have any thoughts??

#8 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

What Brand & model of recorder are you using?

approximately how far away from you position would you estimate the response?

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#9 MissSquatcher

MissSquatcher

Novice Squatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

My recorder is an Olympus DP 201.

I think the knock was about 1.5 kms away from us.

#10 SRA-Todd

SRA-Todd

Researcher

• Researchers
  • 310 posts
  • LocationRamsey, MN

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

I'm on the fence on wood knocks and here is why.  Every time, and I mean every time I've attempted a wood knock by selecting a piece of branch or stick lying around, it has shattered into pieces and ends up sounding like two pillows being hit together.  I have not been able to replicate a wood knock without bringing a bat or other tool with me into the woods.  

Wood on wood knocks need to be freshly broken branches that are not in a state of decay for the sound to resonate, in my experience.  Considering most if not all the knocks are responses to our knocks, I would surmise that a squatch would have to break off a branch in order to respond, but we don't hear the crack of the branch being broken preceding the knock.  

I have two possible explanations, one of which is much less likely than the other.  The first is they carry around good solid whacking sticks to make the knocks, but I think this is unlikely because there would be reports of them with sticks and that just isn't the case.  The other is they are not knocking with wood rather they are clapping with hands.  I think this is much more plausible 

The reason I'm on the fence is because I heard a pair of knocks during the last MN BFRO expedition that i can't explain.  They really sounded like wood on wood and were really pretty close.  I was with Rick N and a couple of other folks and they were in response to two knocks we did just to the west of base camp.  

I guess I'll just have to get a picture with a squatch carrying around a baseball bat to convince me how these happen.  Nevertheless, good work and keep them coming. 

Todd

#11 SRA Andy

SRA Andy

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

I think they in some way do it with their mouths.  Once I head one that started sounding like wood, but a second knock sounded a bit like the first knock but also a pop.  I just imagine it being a younger one trying a knock sound and failing and an older one face palming in frustration with the juvie.

But until we witness the knock behavior, we won't know.  I have never heard of someone seeing them make the knock sound in any form.

Andy

Don't Believe, Know.

#12 SRA-Todd

SRA-Todd

Researcher

• Researchers
  • 310 posts
  • LocationRamsey, MN

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

I remember reading a report out of Colorado where a person says he saw a squatch tree knocking with a really big log.  Don't remember which county, but that is the only one I can remember reading.

#13 MissSquatcher

MissSquatcher

Novice Squatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

I do think the idea of clapping is very likely.

You bring up a good point with the fact that older sticks would break, and you would have a very tough time creating such a loud sound with a stick that shatters.

Guess we will have to wait until someone gets a picture of one carrying a stick around to know for sure!

#14 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

I have successfully tree knocked with manufactured handles (i personally recomment a pick axe handle made of hickory - I have 100s of knows on my ine and it is still in fine shape)

As for finding wood and then knocking in nature.

I will go back to an expedition I was on in Michigan's UP...If you find standing dry dead wood, typically with signs of splits from being dry with no bark on them...these do not shatter or break easily.  And they make good sounding knocks.

It takes time to find them however. 

Also, a stick or log depending on definition of 6-10" diameter works well.  I have had success with that as improvised knocking sticks.

lastly, I was shown sounding blocks.  two 3" round cylinders of wood about a foot long.  Strike them together makes for a higher pitched and resonate sound.  I have tried to replicate this in nature with limited success.  Again in finding a dry, old, barkless branch or tree to fashion into knocking sticks.

I think the points of Clapping and Vocalizations to sound like wood knocks make great sense.  I would also put forth chest slaps or chest pounding as well.

With this in mind though, what is the audible range then?

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#15 MissSquatcher

MissSquatcher

Novice Squatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

I purchased a wooden axe handle (pine). And it works well, as you can hear in the recording.

And I do agree, chest pounding or slapping would be hard to make loud enough to carry the sound any distance.

We will all have to test that lol

#16 SRA Kris

SRA Kris

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Do you go to the same location each time?

If you do, what time of the day do you typically get there and then leave?

SRA Kris
Don't Believe, Know.

#17 MissSquatcher

MissSquatcher

Novice Squatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

This was the first time we had gone to this location. We haven't had the opportunity to go back there yet.

#18 SRA Jim

SRA Jim

Board Member

• Administrators
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorthern Minnesota

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

I also to some degree agree with Todds concern and have had that same thoughts when I have knocked and had an instant response. I believe they do knock with small logs, but also that they are capable of making the sound with their mouths. But the fact is they do respond to knocks (however they are doing so). Good job and hope you have a lot more success.

• SRA Andy likes this

#19 MissSquatcher

MissSquatcher

Novice Squatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

We went back to the area, and ventured towards where we heard the knock come from. Found a possible, but unlikely track. Not sure, it may be several overlapping moose tracks. Still cool if it's moose tracks. It's definitely a great area for sasquatch, lots of food and water and places to hide!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users